Thursday, June 30, 2011

Another KO of the Year candidate! Barry won?t blame the referee

Going for the kill can be a double-edged sword. Pat Barry found that out last night against Cheick Kongo. The Frenchman in absolute survival mode landed a right hook and a right uppercut to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. Kongo left Barry on the ground with the dreaded stink eye.

Referee Dan Miragliotta was all over both fighters and came close to stopping the fight on at least one occasion, but Kongo kept moving and scrambling.

During the postfight press conference, Barry wouldn't blame Miragliotta..

"I can almost recall Dan Miragliotta's leg almost touching my arm, he was so close," Barry said during the UFC on versus 4 postfight press conference. "So for a split second, a split second I thought 'this is it.' The way he was falling around. I've seen fights get stopped before. This looks like a fight that would get stopped. [...] That didn't cause me to stop."

Give Miragliotta credit, he let the fighters decide the ultimate outcome.

How badly was Barry knocked out? When he "woke up," Barry thought he'd won.

"I've never been knocked out before, so this is a weird feeling man to lose two minutes of your life. Honestly, when I was laying on my back and (coach) Marty Morgan was standing over me, the first thing that came out of my mouth was, 'Yo man, I killed him!' So I thought I had won the fight," Barry told Sherdog. "I don't remember nothing. I remember the entire fight up until I got punched."

It was also a no-brainer for Knockout of the Night. Kongo banked an extra $50,000 for his efforts. This has been an amazing year for sick knockouts.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Another-KO-of-the-Year-candidate-Barry-won-t-bl?urn=mma-wp4076

Victor Valimaki Mike Van Arsdale Paul Varelans Jovany Anaconda Varela Tony Vartanian Cain Velasquez

No comments:

Post a Comment